Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Endy's

I had a second cousin twice removed called Debbie Nigh and she married a submariner (which I also nearly did rather coincidentally - not the same one) and became very religious (I don't believe the two acts were linked, but then I didn't know her well so it's hard to say). None of that is really related or relevant to anything, except that I keep thinking of her because, after the religion thing kicked in, we used to call her Debbie TheEndisNigh, or Debbie TheEndis for short. And of course, that IS relevant now because the End Really is Nigh.

Aren't words strange? Nigh is just not used now, but when you say "The End is Nigh", you know exactly what is meant. It means near or close, but don't you think that, when used in combination with the other three words, it has a real air of doom about it? It has Old Testament connotations - Judgement Day - and when you say it, you have to use a strange and scary voice and it sends a shiver down the spine. Those four short words used in unison always put me in a sombre and slightly apprehensive mood.

Words are great.

Anyway, enough of my musings and on to more interesting things. I realise that my posts have been a little dull and stressed of late, so I'm writing with Good News! I have cheered up! Obviously I still have virtually all of the last unit to complete in just under 3 days, but hey!

I decided that I needed something to look forward to after The End, something good and exciting, so I have bid on eBay for tickets to the Isle of Wight Festival. Yay! I hope I'm not outbid at the last minute! I am so excited already about the thought of spending three days in a field listening to live music, that the external examiner is a tiny tiny speck on my happiness, and the marking of the last unit by Jamie just results in a shrug and a small frown, as if I've forgotten something which wasn't really important in the first place. Best of all - I know that when I set off for the Isle of Wight on Friday 9th June I can leave all this behind and just relax.

I must now float, smiling, back to my drawing board.

Peace and love, man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home